Essential Window Treatment Buzz Words

Marilyn's Window & Interiors | | Categories: BEDDING , BLINDS / SHUTTERS , DRAPES , HOME ACCENTS , VALANCES , Window Treatments

Essential-Window-Treatment-Buzz-Words-Marilyn's Custom Design.jpg

Every industry has its own language and terms. These words and phrases can be confusing to anyone who is not part of the daily operations of a specific industry, and the window treatment business is no exception.

To help you understand the terms, acronyms, and phrases regularly used when purchasing window treatments, Marilyn’s Windows & Interiors has created this handy reference guide. Here you’ll find valuable information allowing you to comprehend and communicate your window covering needs effectively.

Drapery panel.

A drapery panel refers to one width of fabric which is usually fifty-four inches wide. If we pleat this panel, it finishes off at around twenty to twenty-two inches. If you need a wider width, we sew panels together

Weighted Hem.

A weighted hem refers to one-inch weights sewn into the corners of drapery panels to help the panels hang straight.

Hem styles.

There are two types of hem styles, one is a four-inch double hem, which is the most common. The other is an embroidered weighted hem sometimes done on sheers.

Buckrum or canaloft.

A buckrum or canaloft refers to the stiffener that is put into the top of the drapes. This gives extra stability to the pleated area.


Grommets refer to a type of heading on drapes. It consists of metal or plastic supported holes at the top of a drapery panel that gets threaded through the rod.

Tab Drapes.

Tab drapes refer to another drapery heading. They are usually two-inch strips spaced eight inches apart that slide along a decorator rod.

Rod pocket drapes.

Rod pocket drapes have a pocket and usually, a ruffle sewn into the top of the drape. The rod is inserted into the pocket, and it slides back and forth.

Roman shades.

Roman shades refer to a straight rectangular piece of fabric that fits across the front of a window and that draws up and down on a corded system.


Lining refers to the backing on a drape.


Opacity refers to how much light comes through a piece of fabric or a blind.


Fullness refers to how many panels of fabric will cover a window. Pinch pleated drapes are generally 2.5 times the fullness. Grommets drapes are 1.5 times the fullness

Fling rods.

Fling rods are metal or thin plastic rod usually around 30 inches long that gets attached to a pleat on a decorator rod. The fling rod allows the drape to be pushed back and forth without touching the fabric.

Tie back.

A tie back is a piece of fabric usually the same as the drapery fabric that allows the drape to be tied back and secured to the wall.

Roller blinds.

Roller blinds are a popular form of commercial window treatments. They are just a flat piece of fabric with different light filtering levels that rolls up on a tube.

Panel tracks.

Panel tracks are just a different way of doing a vertical blind. The panels are wider (15” to 30” wide) and offer a much more modern look.

If you’re looking for the best custom window treatment design solutions in Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, reach out to Marilyn’s Windows & Interiors. With over nineteen years of experience in the window treatment sector, we offer custom created exquisitely handcrafted window dressings for luxury homeowners, custom builders, interior designers, and commercial properties. Our team of professionals design and sew custom curtains, drapes, roman blinds, shades, and home beddings and accents using only the finest quality materials and accessories to ensure that your personal style and vision fits like a hand in a glove.

View our full list of services here or get in touch with us here. To have a look at the work we’ve completed, please click here.